Monday, May 31, 2010

a long weekend--in photos

Friday evening:

*tennis lessons
(The last for a while. Now that it's done snowing ;) they can just play outside. If they're still interested, we'll probably start them up again in the fall. Pictures are lousy because the court they play on is so far from the bleachers. Okay, my lack of photography skills probably has something to do with it too. Side note: Annie cracks me up--no shedding her style even for a tennis lesson.)










































































*our little local ice cream joint--first trip of the season











































































*a trip to B&N
(For the "grown-ups" anyway. Wanted one particular book, but still couldn't find it. So instead I came home with three others. Foiled by Jane Yolen, a graphic novel with fairies and girl who fences--well, I think so anyway. The Stuff of Legend Book 1: The Dark by Mike Raicht and Brian Smith, another graphic novel. [Already read and loved this one, and want the next one to come out *right now*.] Push by Sapphire, and this one comes with a POINT FOR CHRIS.)

























Saturday:

*finishing Annie's garden took much of the day (Rich and I fenced it, with a little help from Max. Annie did the bulk of the planting and watering, though she did allow Max to help a bit. She put in three cherry tomato plants and eight strawberry plants.)

























*Rich, with a bit of help from Maxidoodle, began digging out a spot for the new family garden

























*dinner out at Bill Grays was our reward for a hard day of yard work (The boys refused to have their pictures taken.)

























*the first game in the Stanley Cup Finals (We won't talk about who won. But I did finish up a hot pad during the game.)

















Sunday:

*Rich made us taco salad for supper...mmmmmm... (Forgot to take many pics for the day, but it was pretty much a work day with Rich working on digging up the new garden while I worked a little on the library and a lot on school stuff.)
















*a trip to Borders (Again, just for the "grown-ups." But this time I found the book I've been dying to get my hands on--thanks to Chris. And yes, that would be Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. POINT TO CHRIS. But I also picked up a couple other books that look really good. This Borrowed Earth: Lessons from the 15 Worst Environmental Disasters Around the World by Robert Emmet Hernan. Trickster: Native American Tales A Graphic Collection edited by Matt Dembicki--This looks soooo good--It's a collection of over 20 Native American trickster tales, told by storytellers from various tribes, and each storyteller picked an artist whose style they thought would best match up with their story.)

























Monday:

*getting the new garden blocked in and adding lots of lovely composted dirt (Well, that's what Rich did. The boys were in total lounge lizard mode. I spent the day with school stuff. And Annie did homework.)

























Overall, while I didn't get everything done that I'd planned, I'm pretty happy with our productivity. And we managed to have a lot of fun, too. :D

Hope everyone else had a lovely weekend, too!

4 comments:

  1. Ok...get ready for a MAMMOTH comment :D

    Friday: This makes me miss tennis SO bad!! I haven't played in years and that looks like so much fun. And I love that all three kids are taking lessons. Absolutely love Annie's style on the court :p The picture of Max eating ice cream: OMG he looks way too grown up! I still can't get used to that hair cut! It makes him look so grown! It's such a great picture though :) And please never cut Gray's hair :p And WHAT is covering Annie's cone??? That looks DELICIOUS! And yay for Push! I think you'll love it, though it's heart shattering. And The Stuff of Legend looks awesome just from the cover!

    Saturday: :D I love Annie's garden so much!!! She did such an amazing job with it! Tell her she put a huge smile on my face. And I love seeing how delicately she's planting her plants, lol. It really does look terrific! And I love seeing Rich and Max work together on the big garden! First thing I notice is Max's socks :p I love them! Is that a skull on his socks? I want those! And hey! Bill Gray's! That's on our list of places to go, huh?

    Sunday: Mmmmm...taco salad...drool....Yes! You finally got AVM! Glad you found a copy. And um, I think I need to get that Trickster comic ASAP!

    And Monday: Holy crap! That's the biggest most awesome compost pile I have ever seen!!! You guys rock. Seeing Rich building y'alls garden makes me want to get my tools out and start building stuff :D He rocks! And I just love the picture of him and Baker...that one is frame worthy :) Looks like a fantastic four days, Debi :) Rest well tonight my dear!!!

    Oh and I forgot to tell you I absolutely love your hot pad that you made :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. WoW !! You guys worked your butts off!!! Seeing all the pics of Rich digging and moving compost etc reminds me dearly of one of the reasons old people no longer garden!!.. it has to do with try doing all that without bending! LOL LOL.. So what are you planting in YOUR garden?

    I can't even imagine my sons getting involved in gardening at the ages your kids are.. where did I go wrong? lol..

    books books and more books! oh how I wish my reading hadn't come to a crawl this year! I will be lucky if I average a book a week all year! I will never get my tbr pile down this way!! argh!

    love all the photo's Debi !!thank you for sharing the *family photos* with us! I feel like I know all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um...how are y'all still awake and running around? I think that was enough work for about 80 people that you did this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you hiding or is it o.k. to have found you again???? Just curious.....love the photos!!

    ReplyDelete