Friday, May 21, 2010

didn't i just do this

*hangs head in shame*

More books. Whatever am I going to do with myself?!!

Bought for others:

*Little Face by Sophie Hannah. Bought for my mom. POINT FOR MELODY.

*Zeus: King of the Gods by George O'Connor. When I saw Becky's review of this graphic novel, I knew I had to get it for Gray. Sure enough, he read it the very night it came. And then he read it again. And then Max read it, too. :D POINT FOR BECKY.

From the library:

*Daring to Look: Dorothea Lange's Photographs and Reports from the Field by Anne Whiston Spirn. I ran across this book when looking for reads for Ana's 1930s Mini-Challenge, and was happy to find that our library system actually had it. I wish I could I could place the blame on Ana for hosting her challenge, but I guess that wouldn't be fair, would it?

*Chasing Molecules: Poisonous Products, Human Health, and the Promise of Green Chemistry by Elizabeth Grossman. Just an impulse grab from the new non-fiction shelf.

From the store (with my Mother's Day gift card):

*Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. Sounds like a mystery thriller type book. Total impulse buy.

*Nonsense on Stilts by Massimo Pigliucci. Just couldn't resist. From the back cover:
Creationists who dismiss Darwin's theory of evolution. Parents who refuse to vaccinate their children. Climate change deniers who dismiss the warming of the planet as a hoax. These are just some of the groups that, despite robust scientific evidence, embrace pseudoscientific beliefs and practices. Why do they believe the bunk? And how does their ignorance threaten us all?

*Eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough New Planet by Bill McKibben. Another just could not resist.

*The Locavore's Handbook by Leda Meredith. Okay, it's probably not exactly fair to Chris, but he's going to have take the blame for this one even though it's possible he's never even heard of this book. See, I'd longed planned on reading Animal, Vegetable, Mineral...but wasn't in that huge a hurry, as we already know quite a bit about the benefits of eating locally. But then he started talking to me about this book and how wonderful it was, and what can I say--I decided I now needed it immediately! But wouldn't you know, despite the store computer saying it was in stock, it was nowhere to be found! I was quite disappointed, and still sort of am, but I picked up this book just to tide me over. So you see why Chris is just going to have suck it up and accept the blame for this one--totally his fault! POINT FOR CHRIS.

In the mail:

*The Tempest by William Shakespeare. Rich, Annie, and I are currently reading this aloud together. And Chris, you get the blame again. It is totally your fault that this is the Shakespeare we chose for this year. POINT FOR CHRIS.

*William Shakespeare's The Tempest retold by Franzeska G. Ewart. Bought this one hoping it would be an interesting retelling, and make for a good essay assignment. Sadly, it's not what I'd hoped, but seems to be pretty much a simple retelling from Ariel's perspective with nothing new to add. Oh well, can't win them all, huh?

2 comments:

  1. I think I want ALL of these!! Damn...I just got an offer to review Eaarth and passed it up :( Now I wish I would've taken it because it sounds really good! Oh well...Now I can support the author monetarily if you like it ;) And The Locavore's Handbook sounds really good! I totally have to look for that one. As for Animal, Vegetable, Miracle...I actually found it in the cookbook section of B&N after looking ALL over for it!! Don't know if you tried there. There are a few recipes, but it's def not a cookbook. You still so need to read that one Debi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol.. you two bounce off of each other.... very dangerous!!! lol lol

    ReplyDelete