Monday, May 17, 2010

bits to smile over this weekend...

*Annie attended the Rochester Teen Book Festival on Saturday. Eight hours of books and authors and friends and fun left her with a smile plastered on her face! It was positively delightful to listen to her chatter away about it all when she got home. She's been a bit down lately, and it was just such a wonderful thing to see her so excited about something, so chatty and bubbly.

*Gray has a new money-making scheme. He has created a chart to tally every time Rich swears. He's decided that at the end of each week, Rich has to pay him a dime for every cuss word he uttered that week. I said to him, "But Gray, Daddy will end up broke." And he replied with this smug grin, "Yep, I'll never have to work a day in my life."

*I got to hear Chris's voice on the phone! I admit it--I am totally phone phobic, but talking to Chris was a pure delight! He swears to me that I wasn't a bumbling, babbling idiot (but I suspect he's just being kind :P).

*I finished Tender Morsels. Oh my. Seriously, this is just a book that will always reside in my heart. I'm still sort of at a loss as to how to even talk about it...it's beautiful, it's honest, it's heart-pulverizing, it's healing. It's perfection.

*We got the test results from Annie's end of year testing (a homeschooling requirement in NY). I've no idea why I worry about it. I never did before she skipped a grade. And obviously if she wasn't ready for work at a level above where her chronological age would place her in a public school, we never would have skipped her to start with, so why do I worry that she won't test well at that level?!! Add to that the fact, the test results don't really mean squat...unless she scores under the 33rd percentile, and then our homeschooling program would be placed on probation. I guess because I am simply accomplished in the art of needless worry. Anyway, the results arrived...and she had a composite score in the 99th percentile. So, big smiles that another year's testing is over. And the results being well more than we need to continue homeschooling. Now if the school year would just end...

*I had the weirdest dream. Now I assure you that at the time it jarred me into awakedness, I was not finding it at all smile-worthy, but now I can't help but laugh when I think about it. In this dream I'd gone to the library and told them that I wanted to volunteer there. They told me I needed to do two things: get CPR training and let them whack off the fingers of my right hand at the first knuckles. I agreed, and they had me put my hand up on the circulation counter and took a big old cleaver...and whack! This is when I woke up. Guess they wanted to make sure their volunteers were serious, huh? :P

3 comments:

  1. Gray is my kind of kid! LOL...if he sells stock I will be right there waiting lol..

    Good for Annie!!!! now if there were only a way to have a "turn off stress" switch!

    oh my cut off your fingers eh? hmmm was this so you couldn't *finger* thru all of the new books before they got read? hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I'm tempted to call back again just so I can hear more about Annie's trip to the teen book festival!! What I heard sounded so awesome!! How's she liking Wintergirls?

    2. I love Gray :p

    3. I can't tell you how good it was to talk to you Debi!! Seriously, it made my day yesterday!!

    4. Oh Tender Morsels!!! Oh oh oh!

    5. Way to go Annie!!! Damn she's a smart girl. That girl is going to have her choice of colleges. Seriously, the world is hers for the picking. I don't know why y'all worry either :p

    6. :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Gray's idea! Reminds me of when I was 18 and my best friend and I were dating girls who didn't swear at all and we cussed like sailors. In an effort to curb the habit we had to owe the other a dollar every time we caught the other one cussing. Needless to say we were both so fluent that we ended up canceling out each other's debt!

    Hooray for Annie, and for you, the proud momma! She is brilliant, its time for you to stop stressing about it, accept it, and enjoy it. :)

    And perhaps you need to lay off eating before going to bed...that was some dream! ;)

    ReplyDelete