Wednesday, July 28, 2010

two for the price of one

Okay, that title doesn't really make sense. It's more of a "killing two birds with one stone" kind of thing, but I really despise that saying. So what the hell am I talking about anyway? Well, I've reached our bedroom in my major decluttering/super-cleaning/reorganizing-the-house mission for this summer. And obviously, these books sitting here by the computer must make their ways to their proper homes. So, I get my blame handed out, and I deal with a miniscule portion of the bedroom all at the same time.

Most of the books that have made their way into our home during the past few weeks are simply for school. The literature course Annie will be taking this coming year has a pretty extensive reading list...and I just decided to fill in all the gaps of the books we didn't already own right now, so I wouldn't have to worry about it later. What I could, I ordered from PaperbackSwap; what I couldn't I ordered used. Obviously, these have no blame attached:



Tales of E.T.A. Hoffmann edited and translated by Leonard J. Kent and Elizabeth C. Knight











Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll







20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne












The Metamorphosis, The Penal Colony, and Other Stories by Franz Kafka












Science Fiction: A Historical Anthology edited by Eric S. Rabkin












The Erasers by Alain Robbe-Grillet












The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein












A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.












And these are the books that are not for school, a couple of which do come with blame attached:

Ismael: An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit by Daniel Quinn. (I've been wanting this book ever since Ana told me about it many months ago. Finally, it is mine. POINT FOR ANA.)










V for Vendetta by Alan Moore and David Lloyd. (Had this on my wish list, and Rich just surprised me with it out of the blue. Sweet guy.)











Stories edited by Neil Gaiman and Al Sarrantonio. (Yeah, like I need to explain this acquisition.)











The Year of Ice by Brian Malloy. (I honestly can't even remember what this is about, but I do remember how excited I was to add it to my PaperbackSwap wish list after Staci's review. And my turn finally came up. POINT TO STACI.)









YAY! A blame post done and a computer table cleared off.

2 comments:

  1. Metamorphosis by Kafka is one of my favorites of all time. The Penal Colony, on the other hand, is probably the most disturbing thing I've ever read. It's good, very good, but oh goodness I felt like throwing up the whole time I read it. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I;ve been decluttering too, but books haven't been involved. :) You must have a fortune in books at your house. :)

    I gave away TONS of books to the kids in my class. My friend (who is also the assistant in my room) keeps telling me I have TOO MANY books. So, if I hadn't read them in a while I gave them away.

    take care,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete